St. Michael's

498 Seppeltsfield Road



Gnadenfrei means
"free by the grace of God"

Church Building

The present Church building was erected in 1873.  Forty years later in 1913 the building was extended to include the existing gallery and bell tower. 







Church Bell "Sophie"

The bell in the tower was donated by a Mr Leopold Schmidt in memory of his late wife, Sophie.  It is believed that Mr Schmidt also donated the original small bell that was given firstly to the Church school and then loaned to the Marananga public school in the early 1900s.  The small bell is now located near the front fence of the church yard.

Pipe Organ

The Church Pipe organ was built by Mr WG Rendall for Mr GS Hale at Norwood at a cost of £70 ($140). In 1880 the organ was purchased by one of the Point Pass Congregations and then sold to a Mr Geyer, an organ dealer and teacher of Tanunda. 
Mr Geyer had it set up in his home until 1918 when the Gnadenfrei Congregation purchased it.

Church Hall

The original Sunday School and meeting room was a transportable Housing Trust unit purchased in 1964. This building was used until August 1996 when it was demolished to make way for the current Sunday School Hall and rooms.  
The foundations were poured in October 1996 and the completed building was opened
and dedicated in June 1997.

Marananga Wine Show

The Marananga wine show an initiative of Gnadenfrei Lutheran Church was founded in 2004 to help small producers in the local community benchmark their wines. Now in it's 20th year,
wines from large and small producers in the western Barossa sub-region are judged to Australian wine show standards.
The show is held each year in August.


Gnadenfrei is a German word that carries a message of

Grace and Hope and means, 'free by the grace of God.'

Copyright © 2022 Greenockparish